This recipe is inspired by Gaz Oakley (avantgardevegan) and takes quite a bit of effort to make but is so worth it once it is done.
Serves 20+ Cooks In 3 hours Difficulty8/10 Gluten Free No
300g Vital Wheat Gluten
4 tbs Chickpea Flour
3 tbs Nutritional Yeast
240ml Vegetable Stock
120ml Apple Juice
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
3 tbsp Maple Syrup
1 tbsp Miso Paste
4 tbsp Smoked Paprika
2 tbsp Liquid Smoke (increase smoked paprika if you don’t have liquid smoke)
1 Red Onion, sautéed
2 Cloves of Garlic, sautéed
1 tsp Dried Sage
1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds
1 tsp Smoked Sea Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
130g Vital Wheat Gluten
2 tbs Chickpea Flour
1 tbs Nutritional Yeast
120ml Soy Milk
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tbsp Miso Paste
1 tsp Pepper
- Separately blend the wet ingredients for both the bacon & streak parts. Set the blended streak wet mix aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add the dry ingredients for the bacon part & mix well with it’s wet mix.
- Once mixed it should form 1 ball of dough, turn the dough out on to a clean work surface.
- Knead well for 12 minutes. After 12 minutes of kneading set the dough aside to rest.
- Repeat the same process for the streak part but kneading for 4-6 minutes.
- Roll/beat the bacon part using a rolling pin to around an A4 paper size. Do the same with the ‘streak’ dough.
- Lay the streak dough over the bacon dough & cut the doughs in half. Place a half on top of the other and beat the dough together.
- Pre heat a large saucepan of water over a medium heat to simmer.
- Wrap the dough tightly first in greaseproof paper then in cling film/tin foil. Place the wrapped dough into the water for 2 hours, flipping over half- way through cooking.
- After two hours remove the bacon from the water & allow to cool. Once cool enough to handle unwrap the bacon & place it into the fridge to completely cool.
- Once chilled, slice the bacon to the thickness of your choice, you can eat cold or pan fry, grill or bake until golden & crisp.