This creamy and flavourful soup is perfect for a starter on Christmas Day. Taking just 30 minutes to prepare it is perfect for a family who doesn’t have a lot of time around Christmas.
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thickly sliced
- 1kg parsnips, peeled, cut into chunks
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1-2 tsp hot curry powder
- A pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1.5litres vegetable stock
- 450ml double cream
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
- Place all the soup ingredients with the exception of the stock and cream into a roasting tray. Mix well and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place into the oven to roast for 25-30 minutes, until golden.
- Place all but 250ml of the vegetable stock into a saucepan over a high heat. Add the cream and, once boiling, reduce the heat to simmer.
- Add the roasted parsnips and continue to simmer.
- Pour the remaining stock into the roasting tray and place over a high heat. Stir well, scraping at the browned bits on the base of the roasting tray to release all of the flavour, then add this sauce to the simmering soup.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly, then transfer into a food processor and blend until smooth. Return the soup to the pan and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To serve add a squirt of lemon juice over the soup.