Hello everybody and welcome back to a new and long awaited post. Today I am announcing a change to my blog every sunday i am going to be posting recipe posts. Here is my first one!
Vegan Seitan Steak
This amazingly meat like steak amazed me the first time I saw it and them blew me away after tasting it. You would never eat meat again after this recipe
Wet Ingredients – 1 Red Onion, chopped fine 2 Cloves of Garlic, chopped fine 2/3 cup/160ml Vegetable Stock, hot 1/2 cup/120ml Red Wine 1/2 cup/10g Dried Porcini Mushrooms 3/4 cup/75g Black Beans, cooked 3 tbs Tomato Pureé 1 tbs Soy Sauce 1 tbs Balsamic Vinegar 1 tbs Brown Rice Miso Paste 1 tsp Marmite 1 tsp Dried Sage 1 tsp Dried Oregano 1/4 tsp Ground Clove 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper 1/2 tsp Dried Rosemary 1 tsp Dried Tarragon 1 tsp Sea Salt
1 tbs Cracked Black Pepper
Dry Ingredients – 2 & 3/4 cups/300g of Wheat Gluten, 1/2 cup/50g Chickpea Flour (Gram Flour)
Broth Ingredients– 1 Litre Vegetable Stock 1 cup/240ml Red Wine 1 tbs Miso Paste 1 Onion, peeled & quartered. 3 Cloves Garlic 1 Bay Leaf 2 Springs Rosemary 3 tbs Dried Porcini Mushrooms
- First off add all of your wet ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth after that add your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients and mix together until a ball of dough is formed
- This is one of the most important steps, after the dough has been formed lay it out onto a board and knead for 12 minutes firmly. It is not bread dough, we need to knead it for this long because otherwise you seitan will go spongy.
- After kneading the dough roll it out over a surface until about 2 cm thick and cut into your style steaks (they will expand in the broth)
- Add the broth ingredients to a large pan on medium heat and bring to a boil then turn the boil down to a simmer and add the seitan for 1 hour or until firm to the touch.
- After an hour take the steaks out and heat up a griddle pan (or a bbq, or a frying pan) and add 1 tbsp of oil and sear each side for 5 minutes.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe and if you did please give it a share contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave a Reply